Sacramento, Calif. – A new commission tasked with providing a public forum for issues related to Oroville Dam and its facilities will hold its inaugural meeting on Monday, Sept. 30, in Oroville. The meeting is hosted by the California Natural Resources Agency (CNRA) and will be open to the public.
The Oroville Dam Citizens Advisory Commission, created by Senate Bill 955 (Nielsen) in 2018, establishes a new public forum for communities surrounding Oroville Dam to provide feedback and advice on best practices, public safety and communications.
“I am proud to chair this new commission and look forward to hearing from community representatives about issues that affect them,” California Natural Resources Secretary Wade Crowfoot said. “I am thankful to the community leaders who helped develop this new forum and have committed their time to make it successful.”
Senator Jim Nielsen (R-Tehama) said the commission will be a critical venue for the greater Oroville community to bring valuable perspectives to the table. “It will provide a positive forum to discuss maintenance, reports and upcoming actions and to maintain two-way communications regarding operations, maintenance and public safety activities at Oroville Dam and its facilities, as well flood and flow management elements on the Feather and Sacramento Rivers.”
The commission, housed within CNRA, will create an ongoing mechanism for the public to provide input and receive information from state agencies related to the Oroville Dam, its appurtenant structures, the Feather River Fish Hatchery and the Oroville-Thermalito Complex.
“Oroville Dam and the benefits that come from water supply, flood protection and recreation are vital to the economic health and vitality of the surrounding communities and North State counties,” said Assembly Member James Gallagher (R-Yuba City). “This is why it’s important that Senator Nielsen and I be part of the conversation now and for the long term when it comes to operating, maintaining and improving infrastructure at Oroville Dam.”
The September 30 meeting is open to the public and will take place from 9:30 a.m. to noon at the Southside Oroville Community Center, located at 2959 Lower Wyandotte Road, Oroville. heaThe agenda and additional information can be found here.
Oroville Dam Citizens Advisory Commission members include:
- Supervisor Steve Lambert, Board of Supervisors, Butte County
- Supervisor Bill Connelly, Board of Supervisors, Butte County
- Genoa Widener, Board of Supervisors Appointee, Butte County
- Supervisor Mat Conant, Board of Supervisors, Sutter County
- Supervisor Dan Flores, Board of Supervisors, Sutter County
- Supervisor Gary Bradford, Board of Supervisors, Yuba County
- Supervisor Doug Lofton, Board of Supervisors, Yuba County
- Mayor Chuck Reynolds, City of Oroville
- Councilmember David Pittman, City of Oroville
- Lieutenant Steve Collins, Butte County Sheriff
- Lieutenant Joe Million, Yuba County Sheriff
- Deputy Andre Licon, Sutter County Sheriff
- Assistant Chief Steve Dowling, California Highway Patrol
- Assembly Member James Gallagher, California State Assembly
- Senator Jim Nielsen, California State Senate
- Secretary Wade Crowfoot, California Natural Resources Agency
- Director Karla Nemeth, California Department of Water Resources
- Director Lisa Mangat, California Department of Parks and Recreation
- Director Mark Ghilarducci, California Office of Emergency Services