Climate Change, Communities & Culture: Why Uplifting People is at the Heart of our Climate Action
“In California, we know that some communities face disproportionate impacts from climate change, particularly low-income and rural communities, communities of color, and California Native American tribes. These impacts include the loss of cultural richness and identity.
The California Natural Resources Agency (CNRA) has an important role to play in the creation and implementation of the State’s climate change strategies. As we consider the best ways to combat the fallout of climate change — including increased drought, flooding, wildfire, sea level rise, heat, and pollution — we must recognize these historical inequities, and the fact that some communities have been deprived of the tools they need to survive and thrive amidst these threats. We must ensure that they have an equal voice in deciding how to shape our state’s future natural and cultural resource management efforts.
I’m proud of our progress, while I recognize that much work lies ahead. We will continue to listen and learn and — importantly — to act. Please help us shape our future by staying connected with us!” – Secretary Crowfoot
To read this blog, please visit the following site: Climate Change, Communities & Culture: Why Uplifting People is at the Heart of our Climate Action | by California Strategic Growth Council (SGC) | Feb, 2023 | Medium
Topics of Interest
- California Natural Resources Agency
- Strengthening Tribal Partnerships - https://resources.ca.gov/Initiatives/Tribalaffairs
- Outdoors for All Initiative - https://resources.ca.gov/Initiatives/Access-for-All
- California Climate Adaptation Strategy - https://climateresilience.ca.gov/
- 30x30 California - https://www.californianature.ca.gov/
- California Extreme Heat Action Plan - https://resources.ca.gov/-/media/CNRA-Website/Files/Initiatives/Climate-Resilience/2022-Final-Extreme-Heat-Action-Plan.pdf
- Secretary Speaker Series - https://resources.ca.gov/About-Us/Secretary-Speaker-Series
- California Environmental Protection Agency
- Environmental Justice - https://calepa.ca.gov/envjustice/
- Racial Equity - https://calepa.ca.gov/about/calepa-racial-equity-home/