Helping environmentally beneficial work happen more quickly, simply, and cost-effectively
The California Natural Resources Agency (CNRA) has identified Cutting Green Tape as a signature initiative to increase the pace and scale of ecological restoration and stewardship by amending and streamlining various government processes.
Cutting Green Tape is focused on improving interagency coordination, partnerships and agency processes and policies to allow ecological restoration and stewardship to occur more quickly, simply, and cost-effectively. Numerous state and federal agencies and non-government partners have been working to break down barriers within the permitting and regulatory fields to increase the pace and scale of restoration work across the state. CNRA has made a number of additional advances to the Cutting Green Tape initiative by prioritizing efficient funding processes and engaging stakeholders in creating streamlined and strategic investments that achieve the State’s restoration and biodiversity goals.
On March 17, 2022, the California Natural Resources Agency released a Progress Report of its Cutting Green Tape initiative. The report, Transforming Environmental Restoration: Progress on the Cutting Green Tape Initiative, details progress in response to Secretary Wade Crowfoot’s foundational directives of the initiative. The report focuses on actions within the California Natural Resources Agency and its boards, conservancies, commissions, councils, and departments to implement Cutting Green Tape, which are part of a broader set of improvements underway across other state agencies and non-state governmental partners.
Read the full Progress Report
- California Natural Resources Agency—Transforming Environmental Restoration: Progress on the Cutting Green Tape Initiative
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife—Memorandum: Status of Cutting Green Tape Report Implementation
- Secretary Crowfoot’s Cutting Green Tape Implementation Memorandum
- Public Policy Institute of California—Advancing Ecosystem Restoration with Smarter Permitting
- California Landscape Stewardship Network—Cutting Green Tape: Regulatory Efficiencies for a Resilient Environment