The Salton Sea is California’s largest lake. Thirty-five miles long and 15 miles wide, the desert lake extends from the Coachella Valley into the Imperial Valley. Though saltier than the ocean, the Sea supports an abundance of fish, a food source for millions of migratory birds on the Pacific Flyway. Managing the Sea’s natural, agricultural, and municipal water inflows to maximize bird and fish habitat and minimize fine-particle air pollution will allow California to protect regional health, ecological wealth and a stable water supply.
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr.’s Salton Sea Task Force, created in May 2015, has directed agencies to develop a comprehensive management plan for the Sea that will:
- Meet a short-term goal of 9,000 acres to 12,000 acres of habitat and dust suppression projects, and
- set a medium-term plan to construct 18,000 acres to 25,000 acres of habitat and dust suppression projects.
These goals were memorialized in in 2016 through a 10 year Memorandum of Understanding between the United States Department of Interior and the Natural Resources agency and will be implemented through the Salton Sea Management Program pursuant to the Phase I 10-year plan released in March 2017. The Natural Resources Agency is committed to a transparent process with clearly defined goals and measurable objectives aligned with available fiscal and hydrological resources. Progress made by the program will be overseen by the State Water Resources Control Board and California Air Resources Board.
Salton Sea Management Program – Phase I: 10-Year Plan
Under the leadership of Governor Edmund G Brown Jr., the 2014 California Water Action Plan set forth a vision for California water management that balances statewide water supply security with the protection of public, economic and ecological health. The Salton Sea offers a unique opportunity to preserve these values by leveraging a convergence of support from federal, state, and local stakeholders for a smaller and sustainable sea achieved through the projects outlined in The Phase I: 10-Year Plan.
The 10-year Phase I Plan will guide investments at the Salton Sea to protect public health and ecosystem wealth as the Sea recedes and meet goals set forth by the Governor’s Salton Sea Task Force and the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) executed on August 31, 2016, and amended on January 18, 2017 by the Department of Interior (DOI) and the California Natural Resource Agency (CNRA).
Workshops & Public Hearings
|October 4, 2018||SSMP Public Workshop||El Centro|
|October 1, 2018||SSMP Public Workshop||Coachella|
|August 29, 2018||Long Range Planning Committee||Palm Desert|
|July 10, 2018||Engagement Committee||Palm Desert|
|June 12, 2018||10-Year Plan Committee||Coachella|
|June 11, 2018||Science Committee||Coachella|
|April 11, 2018||Long Range Planning Committee||Palm Desert|
|March 8, 2018||Salton Sea Public Meeting||Coachella|
|March 1, 2018||Salton Sea Public Meeting||El Centro|
|February 7, 2018||10-Year Plan Committee||Coachella|
|February 6, 2018||Air Quality Committee||Imperial|
|January 30, 2018||Science Committee||Coachella|
|2018||Advisory Committee Meetings||TBD|
Salton Sea Water Importation Projects
Proposals Submitted by:
CIM Group, LLC
GEI Consultants, Inc. and Michael Clinton Consulting, LLC
Geothermal Worldwide, Inc.
Sea to Sea Development Team
Sephton Water Technology, Inc.
The Binational Water Group, LLC
Transform Water & Power
Reports & Updates
- Salton Sea Fisheries Long-Term Monitoring Sampling Report – Summer 2017
- SCH-New River East Basis of Design Report/Species Conservation Habitat
- SSMP Water Demand and Supply Study
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 10 November 2016
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 9 October 2016
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 8 September 2016
- Federal and State Agreement Reached on Salton Sea
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 7 Month of August 2016
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 6 Month of July 2016
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 5 Month of June 2016
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 4 Month of May 2016
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 3 Month of April 2016
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 2 Month of March 2016
- CNRA Report on Salton Sea Projects Per AB 1095 (Garcia)
- Salton Sea Management Program Status Report 1 Month of February 2016
- Salton Sea Chronology (Prehistory-2015)
Salton Sea Community Outreach, Education, and Engagement Program (COEE) | Facebook | Twitter
- Department of Water Resources Salton Sea Program
- Department of Fish and Wildlife Salton Sea Program
- SWRCB Salton Sea Program
- Protecting Birds at the Salton Sea – Audubon California
- The Salton Sea Task Force
- Salton Sea Management Program Organizational Chart
- University of Redlands – Salton Sea
- Species of Birds Observed at The Salton Sea
- Salton Sea – An Important Bird Area
- Pacific Institute Salton Sea Site
- Click here to Sign-up for the CNRA Salton Sea ListServ.