San Joaquin River Conservancy Programs
The San Joaquin River Conservancy was created by the state legislature to develop and manage the San Joaquin River Parkway. The enabling act recognized that the San Joaquin River corridor constitutes a unique and important resource of regional and statewide significance with environmental, cultural, scientific, agricultural, educational, recreational, scenic, flood conveyance, and wildlife values. The legislature formed the Conservancy to:
The Conservancy is governed by a Board representing local agencies, state agencies, and local citizens to coordinate and mediate diverse public interests.
- Implement the San Joaquin River Parkway Master Plan, a 22-mile regional greenspace and wildlife corridor in the river-bottom extending from Friant Dam to Highway 99, with an interconnected trail system and recreational and educational features;
- Acquire approximately 5900 acres from willing sellers at fair market value;
- Operate and manage those lands for public enjoyment consistent with protection of natural resources;
- Protect, enhance and restore riparian and riverine habitat, and ecological diversity; and
- Facilitate the development of the Parkway, garner public support, and secure its future.
Our Mission is to create the highest quality nature and recreation experience on these public lands, ensuring the San Joaquin River Parkway is a valued amenity to its neighbors and the community.
The San Joaquin River Conservancy is authorized to act within the San
Joaquin River Parkway as generally described above and more particularly
defined in the California Public Resources Code. For more information, please contact the Conservancy at:
5469 East Olive Avenue
Fresno, CA 93727
Phone (559) 253-7324
Fax (559) 456-3194
This page is an exerpt from Options for Wetland Conservation: A Guide for California Landowners, a publication of the California
State Coastal Commission. To obtain a copy of the guide or for more information about the Coastal Conservancy contact:
California State Coastal Conservancy
1330 Broadway, Suite 1100
Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 286-1015
FAX: (510) 286-0470
This file last modified on: Wednesday, November 27, 2002.
Document URL: http://resources.ca.gov/wetlands/inventories/inventories.html
Copyright © 1997 California Resources Agency. All rights reserved.